About Cooled Radiofrequency
Lower back pain is the second most common cause of lost work days in the United States, second only to the common cold and flu. More than 80% of people, mostly between the ages of 35-60, will experience some sort of back pain in their life.
For people living with back, hip, or knee pain, and who are not ready to undergo surgery, or are not a candidate for surgery, Riverview Medical Center is the only hospital in the region to now offer Cooled Radiofrequency (Cooled RF), an effective non-invasive alternative to surgery.
Cooled RF is an advancement of traditional radiofrequency ablation – a recognized treatment for spine pain, except with Cooled RF physicians have a larger treatment area to work with which increases accuracy, reduces the risk of damaging adjacent tissues, and expands the treatment option for hip and knee pain, as well as back pain.
How does Cooled RF work?
Cooled RF is designed to treat complicated and variable nerves through large volume, spherical lesions. Water is circulated through the device while nervous tissue is heated, creating a treatment area larger than with traditional RF treatments. Using radiofrequency energy, the sensory nerves causing pain are targeted, sparing excessive heating or damage to adjacent tissue.
Benefits of Cooled RF
• Quick, outpatient procedure
• No general anesthesia
• Quick recovery time with minimal pain or discomfort
• Improved mobility – many patients begin to feel relief within one week
• Reduces need for medication relief and the negative side effects associated with it
Candidates for Cooled RF
Many people suffering from chronic pain are candidates for Cooled RF, specific symptoms may include:
• Pain lasting for three or more months
• Pain in the lower back that radiates down toward the buttocks and down the backs of the upper legs and down to the feet
• Pain that worsens when placing more weight on one leg
• Pain from standing or sitting for long periods of time
• Pain from walking
• Pain in the neck region that radiates locally or down to the shoulders or upper back
• Damage to your vertebrae or diagnosis of radicular chronic back pain
- Riverview Medical Center, 1 Riverview Plaza, Red Bank, NJ 07701
Find a Physician
Looking for a physician in your area? By using our Physician Directory, you can search for a New Jersey physician by specialty, facility, town, and zip code right now.
For more information on any physician, call 1-800-560-9990 or 1-800-DOCTORS.