Digital Mammography Procedure
About Digital (2D) Mammography
Mammography is an X-ray of the breast tissue, and is the most effective way to detect breast cancer in its earliest stage. Our state-of-the-art digital mammography systems use amorphous selenium, a direct conversion detector, that produces incredibly sharp digital images by completely eliminating the image-degrading effects of light diffusion. Our mammography services are accredited by the American College of Radiology and certified by the Food and Drug Administration.
The Women’s Center also offers tomosynthesis (3D) mammography. Click here to learn more.
What to Bring:
- Prescription from your physician
- Your health insurance cards
- Your identification
- Any previous mammography films
What to Wear:
· Wear a two-piece garment for your comfort and changing ease
· Avoid wearing any deodorant, powder, or lotion in your breast and underarm area
Once You Arrive:
· You will complete a short medical history form (Forms can be found here)
· You will be shown to a private changing area
· Your mammography exam will be performed by one of our certified mammography technologists
After the Exam:
· All diagnostic exams are read and the results are discussed with each patient the same day
· All screening mammograms are read and patients are called with results once the report is complete
· A report will be sent to your physician
· If you need a breast ultrasound to further investigate any mammogram finding, this can be done on the same day as your diagnostic mammogram
If further evaluation is necessary, we offer a full array of diagnostic procedures, including aspirations, needle biopsies, and needle localizations. Second opinion film consultations and surgical referrals are available if needed.
- Riverview Medical Center, 1 Riverview Plaza, Red Bank, NJ 07701
Find a Physician
Looking for a physician in your area? By using our Physician Directory, you can search for a New Jersey physician by specialty, facility, town, and zip code right now.
For more information on any physician, call 1-800-560-9990 or 1-800-DOCTORS.
Paint the Town Pink
Paint the Town Pink is Riverview Medical Center's community-wide effort to raise awareness of the importance of annual mammography that takes place every May.